Registration for the Lama Zopa Rinpoche Retreat 2020
- Registration and bookings’ opening date to be confirmed!
Starting and Finishing Dates of the Retreat
The retreat starts on Saturday 21st March, 2020, at 4:00pm;
Lunch will be provided on this day, though you must be on site by midday in order to receive lunch.
Please advise us if you are going to arrive later than 4:00pm on the 21st March.
Early arrival: We are happy for participants to arrive on Friday 20th March, however, there will be no retreat catering available till midday on the 21st March.
(Food is available at the “Stupa View Café” at the Great Stupa of Universal Compassion and at the “Wishfulling Jewel Café” at Atisha Centre. There will be no earlier arrival time to the retreat than the 20th March.
Please inform us in advance if you are arriving on the 20th March, 2020.
The retreat finishes on the 18th April, 2020
Cushions are provided in the Great Stupa gompa. Chairs are provided for those who have trouble sitting on the floor. You can also bring your own meditation cushion/bench. Please do not bring any beach-chairs or similar.
Course Structure and Schedule
The retreat is structured to provide the most beneficial environment for receiving teachings and for meditation. The goal is to provide as much direct experience as possible into the nature of our mind, through teachings and practice, including providing mutual support to others.
To make the retreat as beneficial as possible please consider the points below before registering.
- You are committed to follow the disciplines of a Dharma retreat, and as outline by the retreat SPC (Spiritual Programme Coordinator).
- You are committed to follow the five precept.
- You are committed to attend all sessions.
- You are committed to practise positive and harmonious behaviour during the retreat at all times.
There will be times when you do not agree or feel irritated with how the retreat is being conducted or concepts presented in the teachings. If there are issues you need to discuss about the retreat, the teachings, or your fellow retreat participants, we request you discuss this with the Retreat Coordinator or Retreat SPC.
The retreat schedule, both content and timing may vary and when this occurs, all participants will be notified as promptly as possible.
By completing our registration form, you agree to abide by the guidelines as set out below.
Please read the guidelines carefully. Heart of Wisdom reserves the right to ask participants who do not abide by the retreat principles and the five precepts to leave the retreat.
- Full participation in the retreat is requested. If you are sick, or cannot attend for any other reasons, please inform the Retreat Coordinator or theRetreat SPC, so as we can assist where possible.
- Where possible and practical keep silence from the close of the day’s programme up till lunchtime the next day. This practice helps to focus one’s attention on the present moment and to develop outer and inner awareness.
- Some important points:
- Keep your appearance simple – no expensive or flashy jewellery, watches, sunglasses, etc.
- Keep your appearance and your luggage simple. Stick to basics – no fancy clothes, sportswear, or fancy shoes.
- Dress modestly – simple, loose pants and loose tops are best.
- No mobile phones during programme times.
- No computer or any other digital communication device. Devices displaying the prayer book or teaching material can be used, though not to be connected to the internet. Please ensure volume is turned off. You may use an MP3 recorder to listen to the translation or to record the teachings. E-readers are acceptable if they are not connected to the internet
- Do not bring any non-Dharma reading material – novels, videos, magazines, etc.
- No email and internet connectivity available during teachings or talks; however, internet access for participants will be available at the Information Centre of the Great Stupa of Universal Compassion and at Atisha Centre’s courtyard,
- For emergencies, give your family or friends, the retreat number (0431 177 020) or email address (email@example.com) so they can notify us, if you are engaged in the programme. We will then inform you of any emergency.
- No musical instruments, radios, of any kind.
Keep the Five Precepts
- Respect all life: do not intentionally kill any living being, even small insects.
- Respect others’ property: do not steal or take anything not freely given.
- Be honest and straightforward: do not lie or intentionally deceive others. This is easy when observing silence!
- Be celibate: no sexual activity. This also includes no holding hands, hugging, massages and other physical displays of affection.
- Be alert and mindful. No intoxicants are acceptable. This includes alcohol, drugs and cigarettes . We encourage you to stop smoking while here, but if this is impossible, you can smoke outside the gate.
The retreat is held in English. We hope to provide translation into Chinese, however, this is not guaranteed at this stage.
If you are able to help with translation into any other language, please let us know.
More information on translation will be in the news update that will be sent out to all retreat participants.
If you require translation, please indicate this on the registration form. The translations will be broadcast over FM Radio and you must bring an FM radio enabled MP3 player and headphones or similar to listen. These MP3 players are widely available.
It is possible to use your mobile phone to listen to the translation if it has FM radio on it. You can use your mobile phone if it is not connected to the internet.
Your accommodation during the course is allocated on the basis of your registration number and availability, as well as special needs.
A variety of accommodation is available for this course:
Monks: Monastery / Tent in Tent-Village / BYO tent / BYO camper / BYO caravan
Nuns: Twin-share with ensuite bathroom / Bed in 3-bed room with shared bathroom / Single or twin-share tent, shared bathroom / Tent in Tent-Village / BYO tent / BYO camper / BYO caravan
Tent in Tent-Village / BYO tent / BYO camper / BYO caravan.
Pillows, blankets, sheets and towels are included in all accommodation provided.
(Some extra blankets are available, however, if you particularly feel the cold, it would be advisable to bring extra, warm sleep-ware or blanket/sleeping bag.)
* Please note: insomnia, problems with sleeping, and snoring, needing to go to the bathroom at night etc are not considered conditions requiring special accommodation.
Once we have received your booking form (completed online), we will note your accommodation request.
Remember to give a second choice for accommodation. If your first choice is no longer available, we will move automatically to your second choice.
Registration Cancellation and Refund Policy
To register, please complete the registration and booking forms on the website. A deposit of $100.00 is payable on lodging both of these.
Full payment is required once you receive an email confirming your registration.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
- Cancellations received 30 days before the event: Full refund less $10.00
- Cancellations received less than 7 days before the start of the retreat, will incur a cancellation fee of 20% of the total booking.
- Cancellations received the day before, the day of, or anytime after the start of the retreat, will incur a cancellation fee of 30% of the total booking.
NB: All cancellations must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at the Retreat Office.
Change of Registration
Change of registration must be made in writing to email@example.com
Transfer of Registration
All registrations are transferable.
Transfers must be made in writing by the registered person to firstname.lastname@example.org
All registration details will be assigned to the new person unless otherwise specified.
Cancellation of the Event by Heart of Wisdom (HOW) Inc.
HOW Inc. reserves the right to alter or cancel, without prior notice, any of the arrangements relating directly or indirectly to an event, for any circumstances beyond the HOW Inc.’s reasonable control. This includes the cancellation of the event itself.
HOW will endeavour to refund the retreat bookings.
HOW Inc. accepts no additional liability for travel costs, hotel costs, or any other additional costs incurred.
Further information on the retreat will be available in the “Retreat Information” booklet. The booklet will be forwarded on receiving your booking.